Well Friday night we attempted watching Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring before going to bed. I was the last person to fall asleep and I only made it to the point where Bilbo leaves the ring on the mantel for Frodo. I think this proves how exhausted we were from the day.
Saturday morning we were up early. Josh had interviews for summer jobs (something I should start thinking about) while the three girls went out to the farmers market. We walked around the city for a bit and at noon we went to the Speights Factory. Speights in a New Zealand beer and one of the oldest functioning breweries in New Zealand (speights.co.nz). It was an hour and a half tour with (unlimited!) tastings of 6 beers. Included in the price of our ticket was also a 2 course lunch with a 12oz Speights beer of choice. Speights makes some of the best mud cake I have ever tasted :-)
We then ventured to the harbour where we got on a bus to take us out to the Otago Peninsula. There were some great views of both the harbour and the coast line from the bus ride, but the drive was a little windy with a bus driver who was a little too comfortable at going at high speeds around the corners. Out at the end of the peninsula we fought the wind (which was gusting up to about 50 knots) to get onto the boat. The boat took us out to the end of the peninsula to see Albatross, seals and penguins. We did see all those things, but we only got to see 1 penguin who was swimming along side the boat. The albatross have HUGE wing spans and glide so effortlessly on the gusts of wind. SOOO pretty to watch. Well on the boat we made friends with these 3 older women who were having a great time being young again. Since the animal viewing was only for 45 min of our 2 1/2 hour boat ride, these ladies kept us entertained the rest of the way!
Back on dry land we went back to the apartment, had leftovers for dinner and decided to attempt the other two Lord of the Rings movies. Before attempting this we had to (obviously) get some liquid fuel. My poison of choice being red bull. Well it proved to be an entertaining night. All 4 of us made it through the Two Towers then we had an hour intermission where I got to call home before starting the Return of the King. We lost Ingrid before the third one started and Josh got about half way through. Danielle and I however, powered through and finished the movie at 5am. How did we manage to stay awake? We made Lord of the Rings a sing along by choosing songs that we felt fit the scenes we were watching.
This morning was rough. We woke up at 9 had a little breakfast and went out to the Otago Museum. There we got to see taxidermy animals from the Otago region and an exhibit about collections in history (it had coins, matchboxes. . . etc). Still a little slap happy from the night before, it was an adventure :-)
I hoped on the bus to come back to Queenstown at a quarter til 2 and my bad luck with buses is still unfailing. We were doing great until 20 minutes outside of Queenstown the bus broke down. Making me miss the 6 o'clock shuttle back to the hotel by 15 minutes. Thank goodness that was my last bus ride!
Overall the weekend was a blast and we managed to pack a lot into a little amount of time! I'm spending the rest of my time in Queenstown until I leave for Wellington with Mom, Dad, Alex, Abby and John.
Saturday, March 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment